New Race Director looks to move
Kart Club forward
Although Winter continues to show itself, Merrittville Speedway’s 21st consecutive season of Tuesday Night Lucas Oil Weekly Karting Series excitement took a huge step forward after hosting the Annual Rules and Registration Meeting Sunday February 16th at it’s Winter Office located at Bicknell Racing Products.
“Today’s turnout continues to have the future of the sport looking promising,” remarked Merrittville Speedway’s new Kart Race Director Jeff Riley, “I’m more excited than ever and thanks to everyone that has shared their comments and ideas with me … it’s all good and can only help to continue our growth.”
Riley comes to the position from 8 years behind the Kart Racing of his son Alex who will be a rookie in the Saturday Night Turn 4 Collision 4 Cylinder Division.
Merrittville Speedway General Manager Erica Bicknell-Jones introduced Riley and Key Staff including former Karter now Rick’s Delivery Sportsman Division veteran Joey Mastroianni who will move from Corner 1 to the Starter’s Role and Corner Workers Dillan Sliter and Chris Watson. Sliter and Watson are also former Karters as Watson will be a 2014 Rookie as well in the J&S Heating and Air Conditioning Modified Lite Division.
Riley’s comments touched on the following points:
• The 2014 Schedule will begin with two Practice Nights – Tuesday April 22nd and 29th before Points for all Performance Manufacturing Divisions kicks off Tuesday May 6th including the Drummond Home Hardware Novice 1, Tim Phillips Garage KC Auto Parts Novice 2, RCM Racing Equipment Junior 1, Ed MacPherson Construction Junior 2, Superior PetroFuels Junior Restricted, Cassell Manufacturing Senior Fun and Philbrick Farm & Garden Equipment Wilder Racing Engines Senior Animal Divisions.
• Karters will once again be allowed to drop 2 Events from their Season Points totals once the season has concluded to determine the final Point Standings with the exception of Disqualifications.
• Starts and restarts will be double file and between Turns 3 and Turn 4 – 2 Chalk Lines will be put down as a Zone where the leader will be allowed to fire. Once the Green Flag has been displayed – karters can race from that point on. If two double file Starts or Restarts are waived off – the field will reform in Single File form for the remainder of that heat or feature.
• Due to the size of Drivers that may be in the Novice 2 Division – the minimum weight requirement for 2014 has been amended to be 245 lbs. at any time for Driver and Kart.
• As previously announced, 2014 will see the Junior Restricted Division powered by the Briggs & Stratton Local Option 206 Engine on gas and with the Stock Black Slide.
Merrittville Speedway’s Tech Staff – Dan Wilder, Travis Cunningham and Jim Irvine were also in attendance and promised that inspections will have a strong presence in the coming season.
Riley and his son Alex who staffed the Lucas Oil Fan Survey that greeted Race Fans in the Grandstands on Saturday Nights last season also touched on plans for increased promotional activities designed to grow interest in the sport. “With feedback I received from fans every week with Alex’ Kart on Display … we would like to feature 2 Karts every week this season,” informed Riley, “we’d like to take advantage of other opportunities in the community too … from school fun fairs to community events and parades …anything we can do to promote both venues can only help the sport in the long run.”
Bicknell-Jones also introduced the idea of Kart Season Passes for Drivers and Crew Members.
Race Teams interested in participating in any promotions including upcoming Race Car Shows at the Pen Centre or those considering becoming involved in racing at Merrittville’s Small Track … Big Action racing program can contact Bicknell-Jones directly by calling the Winter Office at 905-685-7223 or via e mail – email@example.com. Riley can be contacted via e mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2014 Tentative Lucas Oil Weekly Karting Series Schedule can be found at http://merrittvillespeedway.com/kart-schedule.html and Rules will be posted at http://merrittvillespeedway.com/kart-rules.html